Last spring, all Grand Rapids Christian Schools campuses sent out a parent survey to provide parents the opportunity to share their thoughts and feelings about how each campus was performing as a school. We greatly appreciate the time and thought you gave to this survey. As partners in your child’s education, we want to hear from you and want you to know we care about what you desire. Thank you!
We had 252 Iroquois parents participate in this survey. WOW! This is great participation, and therefore, we received great data for us to use. It shows us you are engaged and care, which is so important to us. It is so enjoyable to share that, overall, you are very satisfied with the education your child is receiving at the Iroquois Campus. That being said, we want to continue having a growth mindset and will continue to strive for excellence even with so much positive feedback. We also received constructive comments and ratings on which we want to focus.
Your comments assured us that we are on the right track with some of our major initiatives that we work hard to do well.
- We have hired excellent teachers that work hard and care for your kids.
- Teachers are intentional about integrating their faith into their instruction.
- Our inclusion program is top-notch and, like our classroom teachers, our inclusion staff love students and work hard to help students, parents, and fellow staff include all students in daily learning.
- Our entire staff works diligently toward meeting the academic needs of all students.
Because we want to be the best school possible for all of God's children who have been entrusted to us, there are things upon which we will continue to improve.
- Appropriate communication which is effective, supportive, and professional. Efforts are already underway regarding communication, and we have some things we will strengthen. Please continue to let us know how we are doing, both in how we improve as well as where we are missing the mark.
- Our plans for interventions are also being evaluated and discussed. We have excellent intervention strategies in place, and we will be looking at how we can better communicate plans to you, making sure any plans or strategies that are developed include your support.
- Cultural competency is an effort that is of utmost importance to the staff at Iroquois. Already this year, I’ve seen improvements (a variety of skin-toned markers, skin-toned band-aids being available). These are small, yet important. We have ongoing work to accomplish regarding cultural competency, and we desire your continued feedback to improve things of which we may not be aware. We are ready and prepared to listen.
Overall, the results of this survey have been incredibly helpful to me as a new principal. I love this school and want to support the excellence already in place. I also want to evaluate the reality of things needing improvement, and your feedback in this survey helps me very much.
I am committed to you as a partner in your child’s education and have heard you in your praises and concerns. Watch for updates over the course of the year on our progress, and if you ever have any questions or comments, my door is always open. God bless!
— John Barkel